Heppner, Morrow County, Or.
The Heppner Herald, an independent newspaper, was founded in April of 1914 by L.K. Harlan (formerly of Condon and Ione) who served as the manager, and E.G. Harlan as the editor. The newspaper served Heppner, Oregon and nearby communities and rural areas. The Herald was published semi-weekly for approximately three months under Harlan and was issued on a weekly or bi-weekly schedule at varying periods for the remainder of its run. The newspaper started with a $1.50 annual subscription rate. Shortly after establishing the Herald, Harlan sold his interest in the Ione Bulletin [LCCN: sn97071036], located approximately 18 miles southeast of Heppner in Ione, and reduced the Herald’s annual subscription rate to $1.00, likely hoping to entice Ione subscribers to switch to his recently founded newspaper. The Herald, using a Model K Linotype, was a primary competitor with the Heppner Gazette-Times [LCCN: sn97071038] for 10 years, from its founding until its dissolution in 1924.
The Herald was an anti-prohibition newspaper reportedly backed by liquor interests upon its establishment in 1914. With the passing of the Anderson Act, which instituted prohibition in Oregon, Harlan turned the paper over to Pierce and Fletcher Printing in late 1915. Prohibition took effect a short time later on January 1, 1916. George T. Pierce managed the newspaper until February 27, 1917 when he sold to S.A. Pattison, an experienced newspaper man from Castle Rock, Oregon, who took over publishing the newspaper on the first of March 1917. Under Pierce and Pattison’s management, the Heppner Herald provided the community with information regarding society and culture, agriculture, and local religious organizations.
In early July of 1918, a major fire broke out in downtown Heppner, destroying four and one-half city blocks comprised of 17 businesses and 30 residences, causing an estimated $200,000 in damage. The uninsured Heppner Herald printing office was completely destroyed, but the business records were saved, and Pattison, the editor, released the July 4 issue only one day late on Friday July 5.
During the period immediately following the devastating fire, the Herald was printed in several news offices located in adjacent communities. Within a week, the newspaper was published in tabloid form at the Gazette-Times office with the assistance of “Mr. Crawford and the Gazette-Times force.” Later that month, the newspaper relocated to Ione until a suitable location for the replacement office could be found. By October 11, 1918, Pattison had successfully purchased a replacement printing press and moved the Herald printing operation back to Heppner. The 8×12 printing press was replaced with a “late model 10×15 Chandler and Price, the standard job printing press of the world.” Upon its return to Heppner, the Herald continued to publish until ceasing operations following the April 15, 1924 issue, at which point the newspaper was sold to Vawter and Spencer Crawford of the Heppner Gazette-Times.
Prepared with reference to:
Turnbull, George S. History of Oregon Newspapers. Portland, Oregon: Binfords & Mort, 1939.
— Written by Benjamin Stinnett